Culture of Collaboration in the Expert Forum Verbundpromotion
With its currently eleven Joint Academic Partnerships, the Bavarian Academic Forum’s Expert Forum for Consortial Doctorates sets new standards for cooperative doctoral degrees. The consortial doctorate is structured, predictable and transparent. This reaffirms the high quality standards of doctoral degrees.
Our BayWISS Joint Academic Partnerships are subject-specific platforms and networks for both young and experienced researchers alike, and strengthen the culture of academic exchange between Bavarian universities and universities of applied sciences.
We promote doctoral candidates´ personal development, provide a structured and predictable path towards gaining their doctorate and ensure academic quality.
- BayWISS supervision agreement clarifies the supervision situation, mutual expectations and milestones during the doctoral process.
- Systematic introduction to the Scientific Community through external and internal network events and access to the graduate programmes of the universities of the Joint Academic Partnership (more on our events)
- exclusive platform for doctoral candidates( e.g. seminars, lecture series, symposia, training courses) can be jointly developed in a proactive and needs-oriented way
- financial support for travel costs, training, publications, conferences, workshops, participation fees, project-specific equipment and printing costs where necessary.
- Advice and organisational support by our coordinators
The BayWISS Joint Academic Partnership ensures that:
- university and university of applied sciences professors jointly and equally supervise and provide expert opinions on the doctorate
- there are no additional entrance hurdles according to type of university
- there is no differentiation in the doctoral degree according to academic origin
- the supervising university of applied sciences is named on the university doctoral certificate
Bavaria is an outstanding scientific location and offers excellent conditions especially for early career researchers thanks to its differentiated higher education landscape. For years, the cooperative doctoral degree and in other words the legally established possibility for HAW professors to participate in doctoral procedures, has been increasing flexibility and transparency in the Bavarian higher education system. With the Expert Forum for Consortial Doctorates, the Bavarian Academic Forum – BayWiss enhances the doctoral conditions for young researchers while also increasing the transparency of our educational system.
Our “consortial doctorate” model breaks down existing barriers for HAW graduates and creates an attractive supervision offer on the key issues of tomorrow, supported by both university types. Our binding, clear structures reinforce the formation of networks between university and institutions of all kinds, the culture of academic cooperation – and thus research and innovation throughout the whole of Bavaria.
The BayWISS Verbundkollegs
*If there is a thematic fit, any Bavarian university management can informally apply for a university membership, provided that ideas or partners for cooperation projects are available. A contact partner must be named in the application.